This is a great opportunity to become part of a small friendly team and to gain an insight into the collection at our new museum. We’re looking for a volunteer to help us deliver and organise a filing system for our archive and object records relating to the collection at Windermere Jetty Museum of Boats, Steam and Stories.
This will be a project-based role, which will take approximately 8 weeks.
Windermere Jetty houses a significant collection of boats dating back over 200 years, as well as hundreds of small objects relating to the maritime and social history of the area. Behind the objects is a large collection of archive material relating to the boats and associated objects. We need help sorting through and organising this related archival material.
- We’re looking for a person who enjoys organising and sorting paperwork.
- The project will be supervised by the Collections Management Assistant and guidance will be given throughout the sessions.
Will I be trained?
- When you first join the volunteering team, you’ll receive information, instruction, some simple basic training and then supervision from a member of the curatorial team.
- All training will be provided, but a knowledge of the Windermere Jetty collection would be useful.
- A set weekly session of 10.00am – 12.30pm on a Monday morning to work through boxes of paperwork and sort into labelled files.
- A space to work and any necessary stationary will be provided.
- A chance to work with and get to know other volunteers.
- A chance to learn more about the Windermere Jetty collection and the history of the local area.
- We ask that you treat your slots on the volunteer rota as a firm commitment. We appreciate that there may be times when you’re unable to attend at the last minute (perhaps because of illness or a domestic emergency) – we would appreciate it if you could let us know as soon as possible so that we can make alternative plans.
What skills are needed?
- The ability to read written English, especially handwriting, would be helpful.
- Applicants will have a high level of accuracy and excellent attention to detail
- You’ll need to be able to listen to and follow instructions carefully.
- Ability to work with confidential information and be willing to sign a confidentiality agreement.
How to get involved?
Send an email giving us a little more detail about you, your interests and experience to: email@example.com