Our Volunteer Guides give tours of the art gallery, interpreting the artworks on display.
- Our Tour Guides give guided tours of Abbot Hall, interpreting some of the most interesting artworks on display.
- The tours generally last about 30 to 40 minutes.
- The number of visitors on each tour can vary hugely – a group of between 10 and 15 visitors might be most typical.
- We encourage our guides to bring the art to life in an interesting and enthusiastic way.
Will I be trained?
- When you first join the volunteering team, you’ll receive training from a member of the gallery team, including security arrangements and fire evacuation.
- Our Curators will offer specific training about the artworks currently on display, and will suggest ways to communicate this in an interesting way to our visitors.
What can I expect?
- We currently offer guided tours every Saturday afternoon, and selected days during the week.
- We plan our rota between 1 and 2 months in advance.
- We ask that you treat your slots on the volunteer rota as a firm commitment. We appreciate that there may be times when you’re unable to attend at the last minute – please let us know as soon as possible so that we can arrange alternative cover.
- Some volunteers are able to cover occasional days, whilst others are able to make a regular commitment (e.g. 1 slot per week). We hope that volunteers can give some time every month; however we try to take a flexible approach that suits each individuals needs.
What skills are needed?
- Most of all we’re looking for genuine enthusiasts who love sharing their passion for art with our visitors.
- Strong verbal communication skills and a clear voice.
- A friendly and welcoming approach to ensure our visitors get the most from their visit.
- Our Tour Guides generally have a good level of background art knowledge; however our curators will provide all the specific information you need.
- We’ll provide notes, but not a formal ‘script’. We’re keen that our guides play to their individual strengths and convey their enthusiasm in a way that they feel is most appropriate.
- As the ‘face’ of Abbot Hall Art Gallery you’ll need to look presentable and be friendly and approachable.
- You’ll need to be sufficiently mobile to move around the building and be able to assist with the evacuation of the building in the event of a fire.
Why get involved?
What are the benefits?
- Our Tour Guides have a lot of direct contact with our visitors. There’s a lot satisfaction from helping our visitors understand more about the art on display.
- Volunteering is a great way of meeting fellow volunteers and visitors.
- Our ‘active volunteers card’ gives you and your immediate family free admission to Abbot Hall, Blackwell and Windermere Jetty.
- Your ‘active volunteer card’ also entitles you to a 50% discount in our cafes, and a 10% discount in our shops throughout the year.
- Free car parking at Abbot Hall on days when you’re volunteering.
How to get involved?
Sign up via our online platform, here: https://app.betterimpact.com/Application?OrganizationGuid=742bd4a6-546a-4781-b736-1a50002ffb48&ApplicationFormNumber=1
- Customer Service
- Event Stewarding
- Events and Programming
- Learning and Education
- Visitor Service/ Front of House
- Curatorial/Working with Museum Collection