Our Gallery Stewards play a crucial role in the running of Abbot Hall Art Gallery. As Gallery Steward you will be key to helping our visitors get the most from their visit and will also provide extra security for the artworks on display.
- Our Gallery Stewards supervise one section of the gallery, providing assistance and information to our visitors.
- We actively encourage our Stewards to move around the room and engage with our visitors, however we will always ensure there is a chair available for anytime you wish to be seated.
- We encourage our Gallery Stewards to talk to, and engage with, our visitors and answer questions that they may have.
Will I be trained?
- When you first join the volunteering team, you’ll receive training from a member of the gallery team, including security arrangements and fire evacuation.
- Our Curators offer volunteer training throughout the year - this is an opportunity to see a preview of our latest exhibitions and learn more about the art on display.
What can I expect?
- We currently organise our volunteer rota across two slots each day:
- Mornings: 10.30am – 1.30pm
- Afternoons: 1.30pm to 4pm (Winter) or 5pm (Summer)
- We plan our rota between 1 and 2 months in advance. Most of our volunteers like to plan their time in advance; however, we are also very grateful to those who are able to step in at short notice. You can sign up online, or by email.
- We ask that you treat your slots on the volunteer rota as a firm commitment. We appreciate that there may be times when you’re unable to attend at the last minute (perhaps because of illness or a domestic emergency) – please let us know as soon as possible so that we can arrange alternative cover.
- Some volunteers are able to cover occasional days, whilst others are able to make a regular commitment (e.g. 1 slot per week). We hope that volunteers can give some time every month; however we try to take a flexible approach that suits each individuals needs.
What skills are needed?
- A friendly and welcoming approach to ensure our visitors get the most from their visit.
- A knowledge of art is helpful but isn’t essential. We provide the information you’ll need, as well as regular training about the artworks on display.
- As the ‘face’ of Abbot Hall Art Gallery you’ll need to look presentable and be friendly and approachable.
- Being a Gallery Steward isn’t physically demanding, however you’ll need to be sufficiently mobile to be able to assist with the evacuation of the building in the event of a fire.
Why get involved?
What are the benefits?
- Our Gallery Stewards have a very visible presence at Abbot Hall Art Gallery. There’s a lot satisfaction from helping our visitors enjoy their visit.
- Volunteering is a great way of meeting fellow volunteers and visitors.
- Our ‘active volunteers card’ entitles you and your immediate family free admission to Abbot Hall, Blackwell and Windermere Jetty.
- Your ‘active volunteer card’ also entitles you to a 50% discount in our cafes, and a 10% discount in our shops throughout the year.
How to get involved?
Sign up using our online platform, which can be found here: https://app.betterimpact.com/Application?OrganizationGuid=742bd4a6-546a-4781-b736-1a50002ffb48&ApplicationFormNumber=1
- Customer Service
- Event Stewarding
- Events and Programming
- Learning and Education
- Curatorial/Working with Museum Collection